St. Martin Catholic Church
History of St. Martin Catholic Church, Rome, KY
In 1873, Fr. Ivo Schacht, pastor of St. Stephen in Owensboro, KY, organized the townspeople of Rome, a few miles outside of Owensboro, into a new parish. A new church was built, served by priests from surrounding parishes. St Martin was given its first pastor in 1891. In 1912, arrangements were made for the parish school to open, with the teachers coming from the Ursuline Sisters’ community at Mount St. Joseph.
An increase in enrollment required the construction of a larger school just eight years later. With the school and parish both increasing in enrollment numbers, a new church was completed in 1957, a new rectory in 1964, and a school in 1966.
Over the years, the participation of parishioners has increased greatly. Parish members serve on the parish council, minister as lectors, extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist, and religious education catechists.
(From the book, Freely You Have Received, Freely Give: 75 Years of the Diocese of Owensboro Kentucky).
Our Patron, St. Martin of Tours
St. Martin (316-397 A.D.) was bishop of Tours, France. He is most known for his famous conversion. After giving half of his cloak to a poor man, Martin saw Jesus appear to him in a dream, gratefully wearing that same piece of his cloak. After the vision, Martin became a Christian. His feast day is November 11.
For more on our patron, visit https://www.franciscanmedia.org/saint-martin-of-tours/